Kenny pledges bypass funding if go-ahead givenMay 25, 2012 - 7:15am
BY ENDA CUNNINGHAM
The Taoiseach has given a firm commitment to provide funding for the long-awaited €300 million Galway City Outer Bypass, if the project is given the go-ahead by the European Court of Justice. The case will be heard on July 5, and a decision from the ECJ is expected by November.
The bypass is being treated as a ‘top priority’ by the Government in its new capital investment programme.
Already, the Government has a €17 billion investment programme – Minister for Public Expenditure Brendan Howlin has said it will be seeking to add “significant amounts in terms of billions” to the fund.
Galway West TD Brian Walsh told the Galway City Tribune that the bypass remained an infrastructural priority of the Government, and would be top of the list for consideration under any new investment programme.
“I spoke to the Taoiseach in relation to this matter during his visit to Galway last week, and he reiterated his commitment to the project and spoke very positively about the prospect of advancement in the event of a favourable decision from the ECJ.
“He advised me that he felt the bypass would be an ideal candidate for progression under any new capital investment plan that may emerge.
“The outer bypass has been assessed by the Department of Transport as the top-ranking roads project in the State in terms of a cost-benefit ratio, and it remains an absolute priority.
“I know that Ministers Noonan and Howlin are in the process of talks with the EU-IMF-ECB troika regarding a new stimulus plan, under which a number of capital infrastructure projects can be expected to advance.
“This represents a great opportunity for the progression of the Galway bypass and could result in the road being built sooner rather than later, provided the project receives the approval of the courts,” said Deputy Walsh.
For more on this story, see the Galway City Tribune.